Sunday, April 28, 2013

Dewey's Read-a-thon: Summary

I couldn't stay awake much past the time of my last post but got up early enough to do a little bit more reading. I managed another hour of reading with a new book, Feed by Mira Grant, about bloggers following a presidential campaign in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse. It's quite interesting reading this after having just finished The Influencing Machine.

Here are my final totals:

Hours of reading: 7
Hours of audiobook listening: 1.5
Total pages read: 563
Books finished: 2
Other books started: 1
Mini-challenges done: 3 (Hour 1 end-of-event meme, Hour 11 Picture-it challenge, Hour 12 end-of-event meme)
Cheerleading hours: 3

Here are Kate's totals:
Hours of reading: 2
Total pages read: 200
Books finished: 0
Other books started: 1 (a re-read of Fear by Michael Grant)

Kate and I spent 13.5 hours participating (reading and cheerleading) in the read-a-thon, so as promised, we've donated $27 to Free the Children, Kate's favourite charity.

Now for the end-of-event meme:
  1. Which hour was most daunting for you?
    Hour 17. I really needed sleep at that point.
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
    I tried a graphic non-fiction book this time, and it worked well.
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
    I was a cheerleader again and really enjoyed it. I would love to see more people signing up as cheerleaders!
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
    Everything ran very smoothly, as usual! Many thanks to the organizers.
  5. How many books did you read?
    I finished two books and started a third. Kate read half of one book.
  6. What were the names of the books you read?
    For me: No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay and The Influencing Machine by Brooke Gladstone
    For Kate: Fear by Michael Grant
  7. Which book did you enjoy most?
    I really enjoyed No Time for Goodbye.
  8. Which did you enjoy least?
    I enjoyed everything I read!
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
    I kept a spreadsheet of all the blogs my team (Team Tiger) was covering and tried to visit each at least once. I would have loved to pay multiple visits to each blog, but there just wasn't enough time to cheer and read too.
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
    Kate and I will definitely participate again. I will try to do even more cheerleading next time.
Thanks again to the organizers for another terrific event!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to both you and Kate for another reading job well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you both have excellent totals! Congratulations, P! I'm so happy to have found your blog and to now know who you are on LT. Hope you have recovered sufficiently and are loving your current read! See you around LibraryThing!

    ReplyDelete