Sunday, October 14, 2012

Dewey's Read-a-thon: Summary


Another successful Dewey's Read-a-thon event is over! Kate read some of Cassandra Clare's City of Ashes late last night and early this morning, and I managed to finish Jan Costin Wagner's Ice Moon.

Here are Kate's final totals:
Hours of reading: 7
Total pages read: 565
Books finished: 1
Other books started: 1

My totals:
Hours of reading: 7
Total pages read: 593
Books finished: 2
Other books started: 0
Mini-challenges done: 1
Cheerleading hours: 3

Kate and I spent 17 hours participating (reading and cheerleading) in the read-a-thon, so as promised, we've donated $34 to Free the Children.

Now for the end-of-event meme:
  1. Which hour was most daunting for you?
    I started feeling very sleepy around Hour 16. Kate was eager to read more, though.
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
    I love mysteries, and Kate had a hard time putting City of Bones down.
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
    It would be great to encourage more people to do cheerleading, as there are so many participants and so few cheerleaders. Maybe if it were advertised that cheerleaders get special prizes too, more people would sign up.
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
    Everything went smoothly, as usual.
  5. How many books did you read?
    I finished two. Kate finished one and started a second.
  6. What were the names of the books you read?
    For me: Redshirts by John Scalzi and Ice Moon by Jan Costin Wagner. For Kate: City of Bones and City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare.
  7. Which book did you enjoy most?
    We liked them all!
  8. Which did you enjoy least?
    We liked them all!
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
    Cheerleading doesn't have to happen just on the day of the event. You can visit the blogs and provide encouragement (including encouragement to participate in the next event) before and after the actual read-a-thon date.
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
    Kate and I will both participate again, and I hope to do even more cheerleading then.
Many thanks to the organizers for another excellent event!

3 comments:

  1. I also put in my survey that there should be more cheerleaders. It's difficult because most people just want to read, but I think I'm going to make the sacrifice and be a cheerleader next time, because I know (coming from a little blog) how much a comment can mean to those who don't get them that often.

    Also, City of Bones is amazing!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really well done!!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paulina! I feel the same about the cheerleading. As much as I'd rather read during the readathon, am actually now considering to be a cheerleader next time because I, too, felt the lack of it.

    Great job on your reading!

    ReplyDelete